Thursday, February 14, 2013

Red Velvet Oatmeal

For Valentine's day I decided to attempt a red velvet oatmeal, and I am so glad I did. This came out much more like delicious chocolate pudding than like oatmeal. I used a banana and dates for sweetness, and beet juice for the red color. These flavors all went beautifully with the rich dark cocoa powder.

Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1 cup beet juice
1 cup buttermilk
1 banana
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup date pieces
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp carob powder

Topping: whipped cream cheese or Greek yogurt (I used Greek yogurt but would have used cream cheese if I'd had any.)


In a sauce pan, boil oats and water, with half of the beet juice. Reduce heat an cover. In a blender, combine banana, the remaining beet juice, cocoa, carob, dates, vanilla, and buttermilk. Blend until smooth.

After the oats have simmered for 30 minutes, add the contents of the blender to the sauce pan. Stir at a low heat until desired warm temperature. Serve and top with a scoop of Greek yogurt or whipped cream cheese. Serves 2.


Happy Valentine's day!


No comments:

Post a Comment