Sunday, February 17, 2013

Versatility

I've run into oats in a variety of unrelated products and I thought I would share.

This morning Seraphine had a peach banana oatmeal organic baby food from Earth's Best. She liked it. I tried it as we'll and it was quite tasty. I will have to replicate this at some point.

While at the grocery store, I saw some cat grass. I was surprised that the grass used was oat grass. I never really thought about what kind of grass cats preferred.

I also found some date pieces at the Green Grocer that were covered in oat flour, to prevent them from sticking together. This is a much healthier choice than sugar coated date pieces, though I must say, they're not quite as tasty to snack on.

The Brattleboro Co-op had milky oat tips in their herb section. At the time I had no idea what they were for. Apparently, they are used in herbal medicine as a tonic and antispasmodic.

We're used to seeing corn being used for everything, it's neat to see another grain's versatility for a change.







1 comment: