Thursday, February 7, 2013

That's the way the cookie crumbles...

Today I went to the Green Grocer in Half-Moon to continue my search for unsweetened carob chips. This little store was surprisingly really great, and they had carob!!! Sunspire unsweetened carob chips are naturally sweet, so they're great for those of us avoiding sugar. They are kind of a let down if you're expecting chocolate though. so just think of them as something almost, but not quite, unlike chocolate.

While I was shopping, I realized I did not yet have any vegan oatmeal dishes. So I set out to make a vegan, slow-carb oatmeal cookie. I was perhaps a bit too ambitious.

Here is the recipe:
4 tablespoons natural peanut butter
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup carob powder
1/2 cup dried currents
1/2 cup unsweetened carob chips
1/2 cup date pieces
2 teaspoons baking powder
Dash of cinnamon


I just kinda mixed all the ingredients together in no particular order, then spooned it onto cookie sheets. Then baked for 15 minutes.

I didn't add any flour; I let the carob powder, almond meal, and oats provide all the starch. The sweetness came from the carob, currants, dates, and applesauce. And I hoped applesauce would work instead of eggs. This was where I went wrong I think.

The result was a tasty, mildly sweet, sorta chocolatey, crumbly mess. They looked like cookies, until you bit into one and they completely fell apart. Next time, I will use egg-replacer.

(Photo taken with a glass of unsweetened almond milk)


No comments:

Post a Comment