Monday, March 4, 2013

Baked banana coconut

Some days I feel like I am running out of ideas for oatmeal. Then I have a day where I feel boundless creative energy, and I am sure I will be able to come up with hundreds of unique oatmeal recipes. That anything is possible. Today is one if those days, where ideas are just pouring out of my brain. I've been jotting down ideas for things like oatmeal-battered fried chicken, oatmeal soufflé, steel-cut oatmeal pudding (like rice pudding)...

Yesterday I mixed some oats up with yogurt and let it sit in the fridge overnight. This morning I decided to make a baked banana coconut oatmeal. This was amazingly satisfying. I definitely need to make more baked oatmeal dishes a in the future.

Here's the recipe:

1 cup steel cut oats
2 cups plain yogurt

Mix these together the day before, leave in the fridge overnight.

1 banana (mushed)
1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus 2 tablespoons (for topping)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons water
- butter for greasing ramekins

Preheat oven to 350 and grease 4 small or 2 medium ramekins. In a large bowl, mix together oat-yogurt mix, banana, eggs, vanilla, spices, salt, and 1/2 cup coconut. In a small cup or bowl mix together baking soda and water. Fold the baking soda mixture into the batter, then pour into greased ramekins. Top with more shredded coconut. Bake small ramekins for about 35 minutes, and medium ramekins for 45 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges and firm to the touch.






1 comment: