Monday, March 11, 2013

Irish Oatcakes

I'm going to try to fit in as many Irish recipes as I can this month. Today I attempted to make Irish oatcakes, with some success. I'm not really sure exactly what oatcakes are supposed to taste like, but mine came out crunchy, chewy, a bit dry, but with a buttery-salty satisfying flavor.

Here's the recipe I used:

1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup boiling water
2 T butter
1/2 tsp salt

First I ground the oats in the food processor till they were a course meal. Then in a bowl I combined them with the salt and boiling water to form a thick sticky dough. I scooped up palm sized pieces of the dough and pressed them into 1/4" thick circles. Then cooked them in a buttered cast iron skillet. I finished them off in the oven at 300 for about 30 minutes. The result was somewhat like an oat cracker.





No comments:

Post a Comment